Saturday, January 17, 2009

The Day I Saw Star Clusters


Once,
I skimmed both ends of the world
With brazen fingertips
And somehow reveled in knowing that
I could never grip both sides,
Nor get the chance to
Flip the earth in midair and call
Heads or tails.

Yet somebody whispered in my ear today
That there’s a Soviet flag on the moon
Where ours is supposed to be,
That cathedral bells will swing at noon
Because a timer told them to,
That the look on your face when you laugh
Hides a person more empty than those
You laugh with.

I could have seen star clusters in the daylight
While underneath my roof, under layers of linen and lace.
I could have rolled that globe between my fingers,
Personified life and death,
Made a heartbeat and a steady breath
Finally within grasp.

I firmly held the earth between my hands today,
And held less between my palms
Than I had in either of my pockets.
I’ll learn to let the earth fall free from my hands today,
And remember life chose me, after all.

No comments: