Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Gift


I would have, and would still
Give anything to catch you.
I would fold the sky into my palm
And place it in your pocket;
I would chase the sun
All the way to the sands
To be the one to hear your heart
Palpitate
To the sound of the sea breathing.

I would dance for you,
I would change for you;
I would weep in the glory of
Giving the tiniest star your name
And flying you there,
Where it won’t seem so tiny anymore.

I cannot move earth
And heaven:
The Great Ceiling is boundless
With not an edge to fold inside itself;
The sea holds in her hands the
Bewilderment
You cannot yet face;
The tiniest star might just be
Not
Quite
Tiny enough.
I'd leave more on your doorstep
Than a heart and a head
If I was more than that myself.

Please, as you wander now,
Often watching me wander,
Seeing every bright streetlight
As the newfound Northern Star—

Know that
I will still dance for you,
I will always change for you.

Whenever you wander,
Maybe watching me wander,
Remember that I can always
Write for you.

No comments: